Volunteer Application and Screening Instructions
Thank you for your decision to volunteer with Child Evangelism Fellowship®. We are excited about all that God is going to do as you share the Gospel with unchurched children in their communities.
Volunteer Application and Screening Instructions for CEF Volunteers.
CEF® is serious about taking responsibility to protect the children, the volunteers, partnering churches and the good name of Jesus Christ.
Following are some important considerations for all who will volunteer and have direct contact with the children through CEF ministries.
- CEF does online background checks and volunteer applications utilizing a secure server so that your information is safe.
- All volunteers (age 18 and older) and CEF missionaries are required to undergo a national criminal background check.
- All approved workers will receive a required nametag upon completion of steps 1-4.
- You will need to go online to complete the screening process.
THERE ARE 5 EASY STEPS REQUIRED FOR NEW VOLUNTEERS:
STEP 1: PRIOR to COMPLETING THE ONLINE APPLICATION
Complete the following:
A. Gather the following information to enter online:
- Your salvation testimony.
- Reference contact information (name, phone, email). This should include be a pastor or church leader, an employer (past or current), and two personal references. No relatives please.
- Previous addresses (last 5 years)
- Driver’s License (if applicable)
- Social Security Number [*This information is submitted to Protect My Ministry, a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, for the purpose of Disclosure and Authorization for Background Investigation to be completed on behalf of CEF San Gabriel Valley Chapter.*]
STEP 2: BACKGROUND CHECK
If you have prepared the information requested in Step 1, it will take you approximately 15 minutes to complete the online application.
Note: The system will time out after approximately 10 minutes of no activity, and you must complete the form within 40 minutes.
The cost is $5.00 per applicant.
IF YOU ARE A MINOR (under 18)
You will need to send the two reference forms to the two individuals, ie. a Church Pastor and a Non-Relative.
STEP 3: REGISTER AND ATTEND A ONE-TIME, 6-HOUR SUPER SEMINAR WORKSHOP.
STEP 4: FINGERPRINTING
Effective January 1st, 2022
The State of California passed new legislation effective January 1, 2022 related to screening and training volunteers and employees who interact with children, as a reaction to multiple large sexual abuse claims.
AB 506 requires all organizations that serve children (churches, schools, daycares, nonprofits, etc.) to perform a background check (including fingerprinting and running those prints against the State of California’s criminal database) on their volunteers and employees. This type of criminal history check is commonly known in California as a Live Scan. Additionally, these employees and volunteers must be provided training that meets the State’s standards related to the requirements of a mandated reporter.
As mentioned above, as of January 1, 2022, all youth-serving organizations within the state of California are required to follow specific requirements for training, background checks and policies concerning sexual abuse prevention. View the resources below created by our sexual abuse prevention partners, MinistrySafe and Abuse Prevention Systems.
Contact your team leader today to receive a FREE Payment Code!!!
The State Office will continue paying for all of the fingerprinting up to October 31st. As of November 1st, each volunteer will be responsible for his/her own fingerprinting cost going forward.
STEP 5: ID CHECK AND INTERVIEW
This final step will be completed by your CEF team leader at your club's orientation meeting, prior to serving.
- You will be required to show a photo ID (driver's license, passport, or school ID) and answer a few interview questions.
- Once this step is complete, you will receive your nametag, indicating that you are a screened volunteer.
Please complete steps 1-2 as soon as possible. You will receive confirmation once your screening has been submitted, and you will be notified once you have completed steps 1-2. Thank you for volunteering to reach boys and girls with the Good News of Jesus Christ! May God bless you as you faithfully serve Him!